What is Oxervate
Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml is a medication is used to treat a certain eye disorder (neurotrophic keratitis) that causes a loss of nerve function to a certain part of your eye (the cornea). Cenegermin-bkbj is a man-made form of a substance made by your body.
It is used by your body to help maintain and make more nerve cells in your eyes. This medication may help prevent decreased vision or loss of vision caused by neurotrophic keratitis.
How to use Oxervate Drops
Read the Patient Information Leaflet and Instructions for Use if available from your pharmacist before you start using this medication and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml is stored in a freezer at the pharmacy. If you start treatment right away after receiving the weekly carton, you will have to wait until the first vial is thawed, which could take up to 30 minutes at room temperature. Do not heat this medication any other way, such as by heating in the microwave or placing in hot water.
Use Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml in the affected eye(s) as directed by your doctor, usually 6 times a day, about 2 hours apart starting in the morning.
To Avoid contamination
- Do not touch the dropper tip or
- let it touch your eye or any other surface.
How To Apply Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml
- Take a vial out of the refrigerator and follow the manufacturer’s directions to prepare and use this medication. If you are directed to use this medication in both eyes, you will need to use 2 vials each day.
- After you open a vial for use, connect the vial adapter as directed. The opened vial can be put back in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours. If needed, the opened vial may also be stored at room temperature for up to 12 hours. Do not freeze or shake the vial. Carefully follow the directions to use the single-use pipette dropper with the vial.
- If you are wearing contact lenses, remove them before using Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml. Wait at least 15 minutes before replacing your contact lenses.
- Tilt your head back, look upward, and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pouch. Hold the dropper directly over your eye and place one drop into the pouch. With your head tilted back, blink a few times so that the medicine covers the surface of your eye.
- Look downward, gently close your eyes, and place one finger at the corner of your eye (near the nose).
- Apply gentle pressure for 1 to 2 minutes before opening your eyes. This will prevent the medication from draining out. Try not to rub your eye. If directed to use this medication in both eyes, repeat these steps for your other eye. Only use 1 pipette dropper for each eye and each dose.
- Throw away the used pipette dropper right away after use. If you miss your eye and there is no longer any eye drop solution in the dropper, try again, using a new pipette dropper.
- Throw away the used vial at the end of each day (after 12 hours) even if there is still some eye drop solution left in it.
- If you are using another kind of eye medication (such as drops or ointments), wait at least 15 minutes before applying other medications. Use eye drops before eye ointments to allow the drops to enter the eye.
- Wait several minutes for your vision to clear before driving or operating machinery.
Use Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, you may want to set an alarm as a reminder for dosing. Mark the provided weekly dose recording card to track each time you use a dose. Continue to use this medication for the full time prescribed (usually 8 weeks).
Tell your doctor if your condition does not get better or if it gets worse.
Before using Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml
In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make.
Proper use of Oxervate Drops
Use Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml only as directed by your doctor. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, and do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered.
This Oxervate Drops should come with a patient information leaflet and patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor if you have any questions.
This medicine is available as a Delivery System Kit. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully to get the best out of your medicine.
To prepare the medicine:
- Push down the vial adapter blister pack onto the vial until it snaps into place over the vial’s neck. Do not remove it from the vial after connecting it.
- Clean the surface of the valve on the connector part of the vial adapter with a sterile disinfectant wipe. Let it dry for about 1 minute.
- Screw a pipette (clockwise) into the connector part of the vial adapter. Make sure it is pushed all the way down.
- Turn the vial upside-down and gently pull the plunger until it stops to draw the eye drop solution into the pipette.
- Check the pipette to make sure it contains the eye drop solution. If it is empty, keep the vial with the connected pipette upside-down, push the plunger all the way in and pull it out again.
- Unscrew (counter-clockwise) and pull the pipette straight up after it has been correctly filled.
To use the Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml:
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them before using this medicine. You may insert them again after 15 minutes.
- Tilt your head back and, pressing your finger gently on the skin just beneath the lower eyelid, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to make a space.
- Gently push the plunger down until at least a drop is released into the eye pocket. Do not touch your eye with the tip of the pipette. With your head still tilted back, blink a few times so that the medicine covers the surface of your eye.
- Throw the used pipette right away after use, even if there is still medicine left in it.
- To keep the medicine as germ-free as possible, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface (including the eye). Also, keep the container tightly closed. Serious damage to the eye and possible loss of vision may result from using contaminated eye medicines.
If you are also using other eye medicines together with cenegermin-bkbj, use them at least 15 minutes from each other. Use cenegermin-bkbj 15 minutes before using any eye ointment, gel, or other viscous eye drops.
Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml Dosing
The dose of oxervate drops will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor’s orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For ophthalmic dosage forms (eye drops):
- For neurotrophic keratitis:
- Adults and children 2 years of age and older—Use one drop into the affected eye, 6 times a day at 2-hour intervals for 8 weeks.
- Children younger than 2 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
If you miss a dose of this medicine, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Storage of Oxerbvate Drops
Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
Store the unopened vial in its original carton in the refrigerator. Keep the opened vial in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours or at room temperature. Do not shake the vial. Throw away any unused medicine after 12 hours.
Precautions while using Oxervate Drops
It is very important that your eye doctor (ophthalmologist) check your or your child’s progress at regular visits to make sure the medicine is working properly and to check for unwanted effects.
If you wear contact lenses, remove them before you put the drops into your eyes. Wait at least 15 minutes after using the medicine before you put your contact lenses back in.
This medicine may cause blurred vision. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
If your symptoms do not improve within a few days or if they become worse, check with your eye doctor (ophthalmologist) right away.
Oxervate Drops 20mcg/ml side effects
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Decreased vision or any change in vision
- feeling of having something in the eye
- irritation, pain, redness, or swelling of the eye
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional. OR Contact our Customer service